New York born artist Michele Catapano, is a professional artist living and working in southern California. The artists work is captivating with heart felt bravura brush-work and exquisite sense of vivid color, finding the brightest and purest tones.
For Catapano fine art should be able to inspire and elevate the soul, therefore she is always on the lookout for the perfect subject matter where the viewer becomes an intricate part of the scene.
Michele has studied at the California Art Institute in Thousand Oaks, California under the expert instruction of friend and artist Jeremy Lipking. She was inspired to study portrait, figure, still life and landscape using mediums of charcoal and oil and focused on the studies of many 19th century artists such as John Singer Sargent, Joaquin Sorolla, and Anders Zorn. The artist then expanded her studies with Jove Wang for the past 10 years where she has studied the purity of color and loose brushstrokes.
Michele feels it is an artist’s good fortune to be a member of the California Art Club and to be in the company of many well-known, respected artists.
Some of her oil paintings are owned by important private collectors including the Gonzalez Byass family of Spain. Her works have also sold in many well known galleries in California.
She paints an average of six hours a day in between caring for her sons Maximillian and Brandon, many a times an unwilling subject for her portraits. Michele Catapano once told a friend “I wish I live long enough to paint all I have to paint”. Her passion for painting, the beauty and high quality of her artwork are definitively been felt and will undoubtedly influence the world of fine art.
- 1993/1996: Mission Renaissance weekly painting classes, Woodland Hills Ca
- 1997/1999: California Art Institute
- Glen Orbick head drawing and figure
- Aaron Westerburg head drawing and figure
- Ryan Wurmser painting the figure
- Jeremy Lipking painting class
- 1999: Morgan Weistling Workshop Academy of Fine Arts, Van Nuys Ca
- 2001: Jove Wang 10 day Workshop drawing and painting
- 2001/2004: Jove Wang weekly painting classes, Alhambra Ca
- 2005: Jove Wang private weekly lessons
- 2005: Jove Wang big painting workshop
- 2005: Jove Wang Plein-Air Workshop, Santa Barbara Ca
- 2006: Jove Wang drawing painting workshop
- 2007: Mian Situ Demonstration, Pasasdena Ca
- 2004/2011: Jove Wang monthly painting classes
- 2009/2011: Jeremy Lipking weekly painting classes, Agoura Ca
- 2010: Jeremy Lipking painting workshop, Agoura Ca
- 2010: Jove Wang Plein Air workshop, Santa Barbara Ca
- 2010: Masters Weekend, Laguna Beach
- Nancy Guzik demo
- Richard Schmidt demo
- Carolyn Anderson demo
- Scott Burdick lecture
- 2004: Jones and Terwilliger Galleries, Carmel Ca
- 2004: Villas and Verandas Fine Art Gallery, Laguna Ca
- 2011: Sotheby’s Calabasas Fine Art Exhibit
- 2011: California Art Club, Hennesey + Ingalls juried exhibition
- 2012: Gallery Elite, Carmel Ca
- 2013: Gallery Elite, Carmel Ca
- California Art Club, Associate Member
- Oil Painters of America, Member